Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Reinventing Life

Philip made an important point over breakfast this morning. Over the 30 years or so that we've been together and worked in aviation, circumstances have often demanded that we reinvent ourselves and our lives at work.

Base openings & closings, backruptcy(ies), mergers, gain &/or loss of destinations, changing alliances, network growth & shrinkage, early out departures and subsequent new-hires... 

It's endless, isn't it?

With each shift in our reality, we shifted to accommodate the commensurate changes to our life and lifestyle. Some of the shifts were undeniably positive, others required time and patience for their benefit to reveal itself. In aggregate, it all got us to the here and now. 

This morning, we are looking toward the future again, only this time through the "Vaseline lens" of middle age. I have to say, the future looks as bright and exciting as it ever did. 

A joint contract, seniority integration, the continued maturing of our corporate merger, the sudden seniority boost wrought by an attractive Early Out, the prospect of newly available bases and flying, etc all point to another reinvention of Philip & Tony. We are planning our "final move".  Like a snowball rolling downhill, the approach of retirement is gaining mass and speed. If I were in my 20s, I can't imagine a more exciting place to be or more exciting industry within which to build a career. 

In my 50s, my excitement is undiminished. I've (virtually) met many of the colleagues with whom I'll soon be sharing a jumpseat.  Some, I harbor undeniably positive feelings toward already. Others will require time and patience for their benefit to be revealed. Fortunately, I have the luxury of experience to show me that all have their place and purpose. 

In either case, I'm ready, no eager, for our next reinvention to begin. Fasten your seatbelt...



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughtful comments, whether or not they support my message. If I didn't, how could I continue to grow?