Sunday, March 24, 2013

Farewell to an old Friend

Due to some rather seismic shifts in my employer's business model, shifts driven by circumstances and conditions that seemingly no one has control over, I am likely in London for the last time for the foreseeable future.  It seems impossible.  Almost since beginning my airline career in 1984, the Houston-London trip has been the "flagship" of our international service.  It frequently carried the flagship flight numbers 1 & 2, as if to delineate its importance.

However, due to re-allocation of strategic resources following a rather momentous merger with another airline, the "other" subsidiary airline will soon be operating this route from "our" London base. With three frequencies a day rather that the current two, the case can be made that we achieve greater market saturation with this strategy.

From my perspective, strategic move or not, it seems like losing an old friend!  Many of my friends and I frequently avoided flying the London trip for one reason or another.  But it was comforting to know that it was there, a fallback if other things weren't available or if one just wanted the comparative comfort of the routine and predictable:  comfortable hotel near Windsor castle on the early trip or not-so-comfortable hotel but excellent Kensington location on the late.  London seemingly had something for everyone.

The future of my base (Houston/International) seems to be pointing west, to Asia.  If I choose to maintain the status quo and remain based in Houston, I will also be going west.  It's just another life choice...one of gazillions that we all must make and then, hope for the best!

Who knows, perhaps Tokyo, Singapore, Shanghai, etc. will prove to be friends as true as London has been.  Only time will tell.

At any rate, it's just one more step along the path.  This adventure we call "life" will continue until it ends.

Or does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughtful comments, whether or not they support my message. If I didn't, how could I continue to grow?