Wednesday, December 4, 2013

MY SEASON OF GRATITUDE: November 11, 2013

30 years ago, a cross-crountry long distance phone call carried a significant cost. Choosing to make an international call of any significant duration could mean having to skip a car payment! My, how things have changed.

Recently, I "FaceTimed" my Mom in Georgia from my hotel room in Narita (Tokyo). I gave her a video tour of the room and its Far East eccentricities and, together, we watched the takeoff roll of a ginormous AirFrance A380. The cost? Free.

The availability of inexpensive high-quality communication via the internet has become commonplace in all but the most remote regions of the planet. I realized just how much I have come to depend on that availability during my recent trip to Africa where service was spotty, at best.

While technological advances in communication have eased my ability to chat with distant family inexpensively on a daily basis, I also sense that they are DE-humanizing our communications overall. When's the last time you sat down, face-to-face with someone important in your life and just chatted? Do you remember what that kind of "chat" felt like? I do.

And for that, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughtful comments, whether or not they support my message. If I didn't, how could I continue to grow?