Wednesday, December 4, 2013

MY SEASON OF GRATITUDE: November 7, 2013

"Working up a sweat" is not exactly a natural concept for me. So how is it that over the years I've come to understand that as a very positive turn of phrase? 

Beginning with basketball in grade school, I learned early that "working up a sweat" produces one of the most satisfactory, if seemingly unlikely, side effects of any human activity. Naming the process in the 8th grade would have been impossible but I KNEW that the "afterglow" of a heart-pounding workout was enjoyable enough to endure the exertion it took to achieve. Basketball, tennis, running were the early sources of aerobic highs for me.

At the age of 18, while a freshman at the University of Georgia, I signed up for "Fitness for Life" to help satisfy my required PE credits. What a revelation! I learned that the "afterglow" I craved was a post-workout rush of endorphins...a natural "high" that kept me coming back for more. I realized the truth, "I was an endorphin junkie!"

This morning at 0830, I will turn up, as usual, a Kirsten's step aerobics class (with hand weights) at Villa Sport. By doing so, I will be perpetuating a 35 year "habit" from which I seek NO rehabilitation. PiYo, athletic conditioning, step, etc. are my drugs of choice.

I just can't help it! I got hooked early...

and for that, I live in gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughtful comments, whether or not they support my message. If I didn't, how could I continue to grow?