Thursday, December 5, 2013

What Does One Give the GRINCH Who Has Everything?

It's the time of year when those who celebrate Christmas are in the throes of their holiday gift shopping.  Of course, for some, that process started the day after Christmas, last year (not me).  But gift-giving brings a whole new set of anxieties to an otherwise anxiety-prone society.  As the years pass, we are haunted by the gifting gaffs and triumphs of Christmas past and, more immediately, the gifting stress of Christmas future.  Discounting those who have a fully stocked re-gifting closet, everybody else faces the recurring question of "what to buy?".

This year, I have spent less time on my actual gift buying needs and more time focused on something a little less concrete.

"What does one give the "GRINCH" who has EVERYTHING?!"

I think you know who I'm talking about:  s/he's the chronic contrarian who can find the dark cloud to hide every rainbow, the one who has 5 negative points for each of your positives, the one whose glass is always half empty (when s/he can find the glass), the person who has a pin at the ready to pop every balloon, whose life seems to have been shafted in every conceivable way!  As a child, I remember dreading Dr. Seuss's "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" every year because it frightened me, the same way that the flying monkeys did from "The Wizard of Oz".  Perhaps I had a premonition that, aside from being green, grinches really exist!  How was I to know that they would proliferate as I got older?

So now, at Christmastime 2013, I'm left asking myself, "where does this grinch find his/her joy?"  What could one possibly do, say or GIFT a GRINCH that would make him/her "happy"?  I feel that I'm a pretty transparent person.  My agenda is "out and proud" for all to see and make of what they will.  Undoubtedly, it wrankles some.  But at Christmastime, that agenda combined with an analytical nature is pressing.  My question wants an answer.

Perhaps we should take a page from children's literature?  In the world of Dr. Seuss, the indomitable spirit of the Whos saved Christmas when all its trappings, all its outward vestiges were stolen by the Grinch.  As a result, the Grinch's heart grew and grew and grew.

If only it were that easy...

WELCOME CHRISTMAS!  (the cast of GLEE)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l1cfmhjSGo



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your thoughtful comments, whether or not they support my message. If I didn't, how could I continue to grow?